Sunday, August 7, 2011

What's the point of DevOps?

I work in a development team, and most of my colleagues are getting into DevOps.  But I don't understand all the fuss.  As far as I understand it, DevOps is about two things:
  1. There is a conflict between the need for stability and the need for change
  2. IT professionals don't communicate well
That's all it is to me.  Neither of these are ground-breaking revelations.  They have always been true and obvious facts.

I can't understand why we need to have a "movement" (whatever that means), about these two issues.  Sure, they are real issues that nearly all IT departments face, but to me they are not deserving of a conference, book or name that is a proper noun.

The solution to these issues doesn't require clubs and LinkedIn groups.  All we need is:

  1. Management to align every individual's KPI's with the organisation's true goals. (It doesn't work to have one department measured on the system's stability, while another is measured on how much change they can deliver.)  Just measure everyone on profit, or customer satisfaction, or whatever it is the organisation is really aiming for.
  2. Get all your team working in the same location.  How close is close enough? In my experience, if you have to walk through a door to get to someone then the collaboration will be sub-optimal.
  3. Get your teams to eat together, and every week or two give them some beer.

It's that simple.  Or maybe I'm just not getting to point of DevOps.

No comments:

Post a Comment